|Combs &c. Families of
Lambourn, Berkshire, England
You are Our Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster
Lambourn, (or Chipping Lambourn) a parish and market town in the hundred of Lambourn, in the county of Berks, 8 miles N.W. of Hungerford, and 25 N.W. of Reading. It is situated near Ridgeway, on the river Lambourn, and contains Woodlands, Eastbury, Hadley Blagrave, Upper Lambourn, and Bockhampton. It was anciently presented to Alfrith by his uncle, King Alfred, and has since fallen to the families of De Essex and Fitzwarren. Ashdown Park, now the seat of the Earl of Craven, is supposed by some to have been the spot where Alfred defeated the Danes, in A.D. 871.
c.1290 Deed papers regarding Bockhampton in Lambourn involving a grant for rents and villein services includes a John de la Coumbe as a witness along with Roger de Haddelegh', Earl Baldewyn', Warin de Legh', John Feteplace, lord of Denchesworth, and William de Nywynton. Record can be found in the Bouverie-Pusey Papers, Catalogue Ref.D/EBp/T72/1. Berkshire Record Office.
NOTE: Villeins occupied manorial lands on the condition that services would be done for the manor lord. Records eventually recorded villein tenure as copyhold tenure, in which the tenantís title was officially recorded on the court rolls of the manor with a copy provided to the tenant. Copyhold land conveyances were addressed in the Lordís manorial court. Other types of courts were also held. Bockhampton is a tything in the parish of Lambourn, and hundred of the same name. Bockhampton is also noted in the Domesday Book as Bochentone.
Return to Combs &c. of Berkshire