Combs &c. Research
Combs &c. Families of
Padworth, Berkshire, England

You are Our     Visitor Since 28 Dec 2000 (new counter)
Last updated  
Please Email Additions and/or Corrections to Webmaster

Padworth, a parish in the hundred of Theale, county of Berks, 9 miles (S.W. by W.) from Reading, containing 271 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 6. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a semicircular chancel, the roof of which is supported by a well-proportioned Norman arch. The Kennet and Avon canal, and the old Roman vallum, or earthwork, called Grime's Dyke, pass through the parish. Elizabeth Brightwell, in 1750, gave 200 South Sea Annuities, for teaching poor children of both sexes. (Lewis, 1830)... lies abt 22 miles southeast of Sparsholt, but less than 3 mi. from Beenham (See Also Parishes within 10 miles of Beenham)

1527i William COMBE, Padworth A.73 (Extracted by Combs Researchers Joe Kendalll and Denise Mortorff from "The Index Library Index to Wills Proved and Administrations Granted In the Court of the Archdeacon of Berks 1508-1652," ed. by W.P.W. Phillimore. London. British Record Society Limited. 1893, p. 42)
No IGI entries have been located for Padworth (1998).

Return to Combs &c. of Berkshire

Return to Combs &c. of England