Last updated
You are Our Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster

County Offaly (Uibh Fhailaí) The Irish name for the county reflects its pre-Norman history; it was part of the territory of Uí Failghe, a tribal grouping whose name may be continued in the modern surname Faley or Fally. In historical times the most powerful families in the region were the O'Carrolls (who gave their name to Ely O'Carroll, an area in the south of the county), the O'Connors and the O'Molloys. Their lands were annexed to the English crown in the thirteenth century, but effective English control was not imposed until the sixteenth century, when county was planted with English settlers and renamed King's County, to match its neighbour Queen's County, now Laois. The counties acquired their present names after independence in 1922. (Irish Times)

13 Nov 1765 Registry of Deeds, Dublin Registry of Deeds, Dublin No. 375 John LOVETT, Rathlyon, King's Co., Esq. Précis 1/2 p. 2 June 1766. His wife Mary WHEELER alias LOVETT. His son John LOVETT. Sir Wm. PARSONS of Birr, Bart., and his cousin John LOYDE of Gloster, King's Co., exors. His real estate. His lease of Glascarig. Witnesses: John HAMILTON, Whitehaven [Cumberland County], Great Britain, surgeon, Geo. TWENTYMAN, Breyton near Cockermouth, Great Britain, steward, John YOUNGHUSBAND, Cockermouth, ale draper. Memorial witnessed by: Wm. CROWE, Dublin, Bury BLAKENEY, Dublin, clerk to said Wm. CROWE. 241, 488, 160519 Mary Ann LOVETT (seal) (Extracted by Combs Researcher Debi Kendrick from "Registry of Deeds, Dublin Abstracts of Wills, Volume II, 1746 to 1785, 1954. Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1996)

Notes: This John not yet identified. Was William CROWE kin to Robert CROW, h/o Ann COMBS?

Important: All Records collected for this county may not have been added here as yet. See also the Combs Research List Archives