|Combs &c. Families
of Carroll Co, MO
Carroll County was established in 1833 from Ray.
Excerpted from the History of Carroll County, MO by Combs Researcher Barbara Rivas:
Carroll County, Missouri, is located in the northwestern portion of the State, being forty-five miles east of the east line of Kansas and sixty-six miles from the south line of the State of Iowa… In 1872, the following townships were in existence:
Combs Township embraces thirty-six full sections of six hundred and forty acres…It was named in honor of Col. Howard T. COMBS, who was clerk of county court at the time the county first adopted township organization. Stephen Parker was the first permanent settler in this township, locating in 1824. He held a warrant from the government for the southeast quarter of Section 20…Parkers Grove was named in honor of Stephen Parker… Turpin Thomas erected the first mill in the township about 1836, which he afterwards sold to James Lucal, formerly of Hurricane Township. Lucas immediately improved the property by building a new mill on the site, which was for many years known as Baum Mill… p. 102.
Leslie Township is a portion of what was originally called Morris Township, which was so called in honor of James Morris, one of the earliest settlers who was proprietor of what in the early days was known as “Buckhorn Tavern.”… Leslie Township was named in honor of Gen. Leslie COMBS, in Kentucky, whose son Col. Howard T. COMBS, was county clerk at the time the townships were named. After Morris came to the county in 1832, he soon was joined by James Runyon, his son-in-law from Clay County, Kentucky… The first school teacher was James Mopham, who taught school in an old house in Section 17. The first physician to practice in Morris and Leslie Townships was Dr. George W. Folger, of Howard County, who lived in Carrollton. pp. 137, 138
31 Jul 1880 Carrollton Record, Carroll Co MO. Newspaper Article.
Howard Tilford Combs
The news arrived in town last week that Col. Howard Tilford COMBS died at Lexington [Fayette Co], Kentucky, July 22, aged about 45 years. Col. COMBS was well known to the citizens of Carroll County, as a pleasant, sociable, gentleman, a first rate businessman. He held the office of County Clerk for four years, having been elected as a liberal in 1870. He has many friends in this county who will regret to hear of his death in the prime of life, and their sympathies will go with the afflicted family.
(Transcribed by Combs Researcher Becky Goodin)
Notes: Howard Tilford COMBS was the s/o Gen. Leslie & Margaret TROTTER Combs of Fayette Co, KY.
Republican Record newspaper of 20 Mar 1913, Carrollton, Carroll County, Missouri.
Transcribed from micro-film at the Carrollton Public Library. by Leslie Bridges Kohler
The fire department were called out about 3 o'clock Saturday morning to the residence of Mariah Combs, colored, in the first ward. When the alarm was turned in, the fire had made such headway that the building could not be saved. A part of the household goods were saved. The building and contents were insured for $1100.00 in the Tully agency.
Transcribed by Combs Researcher Leslie Bridges Kohler from Carrolton, Carroll Co, Missouri Catholic Cemetery:
James W. Combs
10 April 1839
6 April 1899
24 Nov 1848
15 Mar 1895
James W. Jr
28 May 1881
8 June 1881
You Are Our Visitor
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster