|Combs &c. Families
of Elk Co, KS
You Are Our Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster
Elk County was created from the northern half of now defunct Howard County on 01 Jun 1875. The County seat is Howard.
Freeman BLOODGOOD Self M Male W 48 NY Retired Hotel Keeper NY NY
Ophelia BLOODGOOD Wife M Female W 37 NY Milliner NY NY
Elsworth BLOODGOOD Son S Male W 17 NY At Home NY NY
Clement COMBS Other M Male W 58 CT Minister Of Gospel CT CT
Eliza A. COMBS Other M Female W 53 NY Milliner CT CT
Source: 1880 Elk Falls, Elk, Kansas 1880 FHC transcription, Family History Library Film 1254380, NA Film Number T9-0380, p. 273D
Thomas GREENWOOD Self M Male W 44 KY KY KY Farmer
Arabelle GREENWOOD Wife M Female W 39 IN IN IN Keeping House
Mary J. GREENWOOD Dau S Female W 22 IL KY IN At Home
George S. GREENWOOD Son S Male W 19 IL KY IN Laborer
Charles C. GREENWOOD Son S Male W 16 IL KY IN Laborer
Rosa L. GREENWOOD Dau S Female W 9 KS KY KY At Home
Letea M. GREENWOOD Dau S Female W 5 KS KY KY
Dilliard S. GREENWOOD Son S Male W 2 KS KY KY
Felix G. COMBS FatherL W Male W 63 IN KY IN Boarder
Daniel MILES Other W Male W 32 KY KY KY Boarder
Charles MILES1 Other S Male W 13 MO KY KY Boarder
Source: 1880 Howard, Elk, Kansas 1880 FHC Transcription, Family History Library Film 1254380, NA Film Number T9-0380, p. 289A
Note: Appears to be Felix G. Coombs of Clark Co, IN, who married Rebecca J. DAILY 15 Apr 1840, in Clark. Felix and Rebecca have a daughter named Arabel (age 8) per the 1850 Clark Co. census. The only Felix Combs/Coombs of the right age in 1860 is the one in the 1860 Linn Co, KS census. Felix of Clark Co., In, did have a son Felix, b. c1848 in Indiana, but the wife is different, and the older children do not match the 1850 census. Thomas and Arabelle are next found in 1900 in the Oklahoma Territory, Noble Co., Ponca/Poncu Reservation with daughter Maud who might be the Letea M. of above 1880 census record.
(William G. Cutler's History of KS, Elk County, Part 5)
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the early part of 1871, and Rev. J. S. HARRIMAN was the regular pastor on the circuit, assisted at this point by Rev. James EDMISTON as supply, Mr. EDMISTON being then engaged in business in the town. The first services were conducted in the second story of the building belonging to HALL & EDMISTON, but in the schoolhouse after the erection of that building. The present church house was built during the fall of 1880, under the pastoral administration of Rev. C. Combs, and was dedicated in the following winter by Rev. C. C. McCABE.