Please Email Additions/Correction to The Combs Research List
You Are Our Visitor since our move.
Four wide-spread instances of close associations are known between the Combs and Willis Families:
- George WYLLYS (WILLIS) of Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, EN and New Haven CT who m in 1609 in Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire, EN, Bridget YONG (YOUNG), step-daughter of Thomas COMBE of Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire;
- John WILLIS of Richmond Co VA whose property was adjacent to that of John & Hannah (MASON?) Combs, s/o Archdale Combs I of Old Rappa Co VA in the late 1600s and early 1700s; and
- John WILLIS of Hawkins Co TN whose property was adjacent to that of Martin and Sarah Combs Johnson in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
- Hiram WILLIS (sometimes a.k.a. WILLS and/or (more often) seen as WELLS) of Grayson Co VA in the early 1800s whose son, William, m Sarah Combs, d/o Zadock and Sarah PAYNE Combs; and daughter, Caroline, m Joseph Combs, s/o Zedakiah and Elizabeth JOHNSON Combs.
- Note: We not only have two Combs-Johnson-Willis (Wells) connections in (3) and (4), but also Daniel and Sylvy Combs Payne who were later neighbors of the above Martin and Sarah Combs Johnson in Warren Co TN.
So far as is known (research in progress), no relationship existed between these four WILLIS families; however, research is in progress in an effort both to learn more about the Combs Families, and also to determine if the WILLIS Families may provide yet more clues to the Combs. The following report references only the Combs-Willis Families of Warwickshire, EN and affiliated families of BONNER, CHAMBERS, SAVAGE, SMITH and YOUNG.