|Combs &c. Counties|
Perhaps the first Combs to Texas was one who stayed only a very short while and probably left with bad memories of the place. He was a captain in the United States army who was sent to the newly-formed territory of Arkansas in 1820 on the heels of the Louisiana Purchase. He stationed his company of infantry at the mouth of the Kiomitia River and ordered all settlers who had ventured further west into Mexican land to return to the east bank. When some refused to do so, he burned all the houses on the “wrong” side. The pioneers, enraged, chased him to the Red River raft, trying to inflict their vengeance. Captain Combs, however, escaped. The citizens protested his actions to the war department and were informed that the captain was discharged as a result. Writing one hundred years later, historian Ed H. McCuistion said, “The conduct of Captain Combs in driving all settlers back beyond the Kiomitia and burning their homes very greatly encouraged the hostility of the Indians who, about this time begun committing daring depredations covering a wide border, and for many months pioneer settlers found themselves surrounded by grave dangers and disheartening difficulties.” (Loose Leaves of the History of Lamar County, by Ed H. McCuistion, compiled by Betsy Mills, p. 32)
The next COMBS in Texas was probably James Combs, a Kentucky volunteer who fought and died in the Texas Revolution in 1836. His heirs were awarded 1,280 acres in Hamilton County as a result, although it is unknown whether they ever settled there. (Ref: Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas: 1835-1888. by Thomas Lloyd Miller. The University of Texas Press in Austin. 1967, extracted by S. C. Hefner.)
|William Nelson Coombes||Zachariah Ellis Coombes, Sr.||Dr. James Henry Combs|
|Jim Hogg||Jim Wells||Johnson||Jones||Karnes||Kaufman|
|Rusk||Sabine||San Augustine||San Jacinto||San Patricio||San Saba|
You are Our Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster